TERM: 2018 - 2022
Jose Garcia is a lifelong resident of Eloy. In April 2017, he was appointed by the Eloy City Council to fill the seat vacated by former Mayor and Council Member Joseph Nagy. Jose was elected as a council member in 2018 by the voters of Eloy. He currently works as a 7th grade special education teacher at the Eloy Junior High School.
He has a passion for education, writing and serving the people of Eloy. Prior to serving on the Eloy City Council, Jose served as a member of the City of Eloy Planning and Zoning Commission and Airport Advisory Board. His commitment for the betterment of Eloy includes currently serving as:
• Vice-President to the Santa Cruz Valley Food Pantry
• Member of the Corazón de Latinos Unidos
• Member of the Eloy Community Action Team (ECAT)
• Chairman of the ECAT’s Eloy Community Relations subcommittee
• Member of the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO)
• Member of the Census 2020 Complete Count Committee
Jose was awarded the Eloy Chamber of Commerce S.P.O.K.E. award in 2002 and 2006; Eloy Chamber of Commerce Good Neighbor Award in 2018 and Arizona School Board Association Media Award in 2003.
Jose received his AAS degree in Criminal Justice in 1997 from Central Arizona College; his BA degree in Journalism in 1998 from the University of Arizona; and his M.Ed. degree in Special Education in 2010 from Grand Canyon University. He also completed the Hispanic Leadership Institute in 2015. Besides teaching, his past employment includes editor of The Eloy Enterprise and family support specialist for Ameripsych. In his leisure time, Jose likes writing poetry, short stories, making soap and spending time with his family.